Summer is synonymous with road trips, vacations, and outdoor activities. But while the sun and heat provide some welcome break from the season’s colder weather, summer also brings with it road hazards such as heat stroke, fatigue, and poor driving conditions.
Safechoice Insurance Agency of Rochester, MN is here to prepare you for the summer driving season. Read on to learn more!
What To Do Before You Leave
- Get a maintenance check done on your vehicle. Even basic servicing can help prevent breakdowns and keep you and your family safe on the road.
- Plan your route. Map out your route before you leave. Know where you are going and what road conditions you’re likely to encounter. Also, be aware of the weather conditions that could affect your route.
- Stock up on emergency supplies. Keep a roadside emergency kit in your vehicle at all times. Your kit should include water, nonperishable food, a first aid kit, a flashlight and extra batteries, a blanket, a cell phone and charger, tire-changing tools, and jumper cables. Be sure to bring the necessary medications and medical equipment.
- Make sure your insurance is up-to-date. Check with your insurance agent to ensure your policy covers common summer road hazards. You may also want to consider buying a roadside assistance plan.
What To Do On The Road
- Avoid distractions. Risky driving behaviors such as texting and talking on the phone while driving may be tempting, but they can be deadly. If you must use your phone, use a hands-free device or pull over to make the call.
- Stay alert. Plan to take breaks every two hours or so. Get out of the car, stretch your legs, drink plenty of water, and rest if necessary.
Let Safechoice Insurance Agency be your trusted partner on the road. We are here to serve all of Rochester, MN!